Thursday, 12 March 2009

Visual Communication in Context

Wow, getting briefed on this project was a pretty epic thing. From the offset I understood how important this project is, the hand-in requirements on the brief is probably a lot longer than all the previous ones.

My chosen artist is Ellen Lupton and I literally knew nothing of what or who she was. It was extremely difficult to find any pieces of work from her and I've come to the realisation that she is more of an appreciator of typography and design rather than a fully fledged artist herself. She currently teaches at the Maryland Institute and has published and edited a stream of books which I'm actually reading. They're all heavily typography based but there's one book, 'Design It Yourself' and it's full of design ideas for making cards, coasters, wrapping paper and other numerous things. It's absolutely brilliant for inspiration and guidance.

No comments: