Today was the much anticipated Hamish Muir talk and I went into the lecture theater forgetting my notepad! He's the founding principal of the graphics journal 'Octavo'.
What I took away from the lecture was the delight in seeing the massive prints made entirely by hand. It was really something, I can tell you that. Just seeing the process that 8vo went through to make every page of 'Octavo' still shocks me.
Do we really live in an age whereby the computer dominates every area of graphic design? What happened to designing by hand, producing something that you know you put every ounce of yourself into. When did it all change?
It makes me realise how much of a slave to the computer I am and it generally makes me doubt myself as a true graphic designer. I don't work with enough of the old mediums such as screenprinting, letterpressing or even simple drawings. It's really made me want to go and hone my skills in areas that I don't feel comfortable in and to actually grow as a graphic designer; understanding that not everything has to made on a computer.
http://www.hamishmuir.com/
Tuesday, 10 March 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment